Customs House

Customs House Robe SAThe Robe Customs House is centrally located at the Royal Circus, a roundabout overlooking the small harbour. It is an attractive limestone building with brick quoins which was built in 1863 to cater for the large number of Chinese passing through the port en route to the Victorian goldfields trying to avoid an arrival tax.

Indicative of the size of the town perhaps, it later was used as the local council chambers and in 1969 was converted into a museum.

Comments are closed.