Constructed in 1860/61 at a cost of 1959 pounds ($3918). Only half of the original design was constructed for male prisoners. A duplicate half on the southern side of the main entrance was to be built at a later date for female prisoners. The gaol remained open until 1870 when it was closed for a short period. it reopened in 1872 and remained open until 1881 when it was finally closed.
There have been several attempts over the years to expose the footings and remaining walls.
The current restoration works were undertaken as a Federal Government Job skills Project jointly administered by the Robe District Council and South East Regional Grant Apprenticeship Scheme.
The training programme for the four participates commenced on the 6 March 1995 and lasted for 6 months.